There are a number of questions you need to answer to determine the various approvals you will need to start your business:

  • Will your business have a name?  Will it be incorporated?  Click HERE for State of Maine business information.
  • Do you need State Licensing?  Click HERE for help.
  • Will your business have a sign?  Go HERE for a Sign Permit application.
  • Will you need to make any changes to your home that require building, electrical or plumbing changes?  Go HERE for Building, Electrical and Plumbing Permit applications.
  • Sole Proprietor or DBA?  Click HERE


Fill out the Home Occupation Application and submit it to the Code Enforcement Office along with:

  • $100 application fee
  • Dimensioned floor plans of the entire dwelling, noting the specifics of your proposed home occupation.
  • Copy of your right, title, and interest for the proposed application.


You will be contacted by the Code Enforcement Office if they have further questions and when your application is approved.